Git is arguably the most popular version control system and the ability to wield it confidently is a universally valuable skill to have for software developers across domains.
George will be giving basic and advanced Git usage techniques including demonstrations with basic Git CLI, GitKraken, and Github. If you care to follow along these are some things you may want to install prior to attending:
George presented us with some really awesome basic git commands and their usages:
- git init
- Initializes a directory as a Repository to version control.
- git add [files or directory]
- Adds the files to be tracked/staged for version control.
- git commit
- Commits the current state of the staged files as a version
George also exposed us to some advanced git commands:
- git commit -amend
- Amends the last commit message
- git rebase
- Here's a great intro for people who didn't attend Rebasing
After walking us all through the traditional git techniques over command line, George demonstrated how all of these things could be done in GitKraken. GitKraken is a GUI Git client that allows you to visualize branches, merging, and rebasing. It also has handy methods for committing and amending messages.